About Novant Health ACO
Novant Health is participating in the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP) to provide care that delivers true value for beneficiaries by ensuring remarkable patient experiences, improving health, and reducing the cost of care. In order to participate, Novant Health has set up an Accountable Care Organization (ACO) structure in North Carolina.
What is an Accountable Care Organization (ACO)?
- An ACO is a group of doctors and other health care providers who voluntarily work together with Medicare to give you high quality service and care at the right time, in the right setting. Novant Health is participating in Novant Health Accountable Care Organization l, LLC, a Medicare Shared Savings Program ACO.
- An ACO is not an insurance plan, such as a Medicare Advantage HMO or PPO plan.
- ACOs don't change your Medicare benefits.
How will an ACO help my doctor coordinate my care?
- Your doctors will have a more complete picture of your health through talking with your other doctors.
- To help you get better, more coordinated care, Medicare will share certain health information with us about the care you get from your doctors and other health care providers unless you ask Medicare not to share it. Medicare may also share your health information with other ACOs in which your other doctors or health care providers participate.
- Our practice may continue to recommend that you see particular doctors for your specific health needs, but it's always your choice about what doctors you see or hospitals you visit.
What do I need to do?
- If you want Medicare to share information about the health care you receive with Novant Health Accountable Care Organization l, LLC or with other ACOs in which your other doctors or health care providers participate, there's nothing more you need to do.
- If you do not want Medicare to share your health care information, you need to call 1-800 MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) and tell the representative that your doctor is part of an ACO and you don't want Medicare to share your health information. TTY user should call 1-877-486-2048.
- If you change your mind in the future, you can call 1-800-MEDICARE and tell the representative what you have decided. We can't communicate with Medicare on your behalf.
- Even if you decline to share your health care information, Medicare will still use your information for some purposes, like assessing the financial and quality of care performance of the providers participating in ACOs. Also, Medicare may share some of your health care information with ACOs when measuring the quality of care given by health care providers participating in those ACOs.
- Read more about your Medicare coverage and get help with choosing a primary care provider.
- Each year, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) requires that your provider inform you of his/her participation in the Novant Health Accountable Care Organization I, LLC. Please click the link below to read the 2022 Beneficiary Information Notice for details about how this impacts you.